Contact Us (602) 285-5500

When a divorce is contentious and spouses cannot agree on particular issues, your attorney may recommend getting help from a neutral third party. For example, when spouses cannot come to terms on child-related matters, your attorney may recommend working with a parenting coordinator once a divorce is finalized.

What Is a Parenting Coordinator?

When it is believed parents will need assistance in resolving child-related matters after their divorce, the Court will often appoint a Parenting Coordinator (“PC”) to work with them. The PC is authorized to make recommendations regarding the implementation, clarification, modification, and enforcement of the terms of your Parenting Plan and other more routine parenting disagreements. The PC is not, however, authorized to make recommendations affecting child support, a change of custody, or a substantial change of parenting time.

Advantages of Using a Parenting Coordinator

PCs are typically family law attorneys or therapists who specialize in family law matters. As a result, some advantages of a PC are that they can address parenting conflicts much more quickly and efficiently than can the Court, and their written recommendations to the Court are adopted as temporary orders which become permanent unless a party objects.

How is a Parenting Coordinator Appointed?

In its order appointing the PC, the Court will allocate the expenses of the PC in a reasonable manner between the parties. However, if the PC determines that one of the parents is using his or her services unnecessarily, the PC may recommend to the Court a different allocation for payment of fees. Many parents find the use of a PC to be of great assistance following their divorce and the cost is significantly less than using attorneys to resolve parenting disputes. The PC is only paid when you use them, so if it turns out the PC is not needed, there is no cost.

Contact us at Hallier Stearns PLC for more information about parenting coordinators and how we can help you resolve divorce disputes.